+34 91 349 82 00
+34 91 349 82 01
Burkhart Goebel is Regional Managing Partner Continental Europe since 1 July 2014 and a partner in the firm's Madrid office. He leads the international Intellectual Property, Media and Technology area. His practice is focused on IP dispute resolution (litigation, arbitration, mediation). He is an experienced IP litigator and handles multi-jurisdiction trademark, unfair competition, design and geographical indication litigation cases throughout Europe with a focus on Spain (including patent litigation) and Germany.
Burkhart represents clients before the European Court of Justice and the European Court of Human Rights and advises on WTO dispute settlement proceedings. He has broad experience in public international law IP issues (expropriation of IP rights, implementation of the TRIPS Agreement, bilateral investment treaties, bilateral treaties on the protection of IP, regional free trade agreements and IP).
Burkhart has significant experience in negotiating complex licence agreements.
- Lead counsel to one of the world’s leading telecommunication companies on its global brand strategy and enforcement
- Representing one of the world's biggest financial institutions in a major trademark dispute concerning colour marks including before the Court of Justice of the EU
- Lead counsel for the world's leading brewing company in the longest running piece of IP litigation over trademarks, geographical indications, appellations of origin and unfair competition, including several groundbreaking cases before the Court of Justice of the EU
- Obtaining a landmark decision from the Grand Chamber of the European Court of Human Rights holding that both a trademark and a trademark application are protected as fundamental property rights under the European Convention on Human Rights
- Advising one of the parties in the WTO dispute EU system for the protection of geographical indications
- Lead counsel for a spirits company in a multiple jurisdiction dispute on trademark confiscation following World War II
- Instructing counsel in a major color mark case in the USA
Numerous publications and presentations on issues related to trademarks, geographical indications, plant patents and gene patents, IP and world trade, including:
- Trademarks as Fundamental Rights – Europe, Trademark Reporter Vol. 99 No. 4 (2009)
- Trade marks are ‘possessions’ – as are applications, JIPLP Vol. 2 No. 4 (2007)
- Trade marks are possessions – but applications are not (yet), JIPLP Vol 1 No. 4 (2006)
- Geographical Indications and Trademarks in Europe, Trademark Reporter Vol. 95 No. 6 (2005)
- Geographical Indications and Trademarks – the Road from Doha, Trademark Reporter Vol. 93 No. 5 (2003)
- Pflanzenpatente und Sortenschutzrechte im Weltmarkt (Plant patents and plant breeder’s rights in the world market), Berlin 2000